2.10.2013

teeny tears!

Hello hello!~

I have a massive update to drown everyone with. As I'm thinking about it though, I think I'll break it into separate entries just for ease and convenience. As a blog wanderer, I prefer when shit is separated by what I'm looking for, unless it really compliments each other then whatever. But my topics are very different.

This entry will be all about babies.
And the organization Teeny Tears.

If anyone is reading this and would like to help out in any way, please contact Teeny Tears directly or even comment here if you'd rather. I feel quite passionate about it and want to tell everyone in hopes that someone will get inspired and get involved as well. I mean, just look at how tiny those are. Guh. Breaks my heart.

Today, well technically yesterday the ninth, I made my very first Teeny Tears donation drop off to a local hospital. I'm very excited and pleased that I was able to do this. It's actually where I was born and where my dad works (for 40+ years!) so you can easily say this hospital is fairly entangled in my life. Thankfully, it's not for medical issues for myself or loved ones. My medical entanglements lie at Jules Stein and UCLA. But that's a different story. 

As I mentioned in my last entry, I've got the donation bug bite. Well I jumped into Teeny Tears. I made 24 sets of diapers (half large, half small) which are all tied up and ready to go to the right there. I stacked them and magically made it look like I have a fraction of how many sewed. Hurrrrr. And I'm buying some more flannel and going to crank through 10 sets of large this week to send off to a far away hospital in need.

I have not personally been involved with any angel babies, be it me or friends, but I can only imagine the massive hole that must burst through every parents' heart. I actually don't even want kids and wouldn't say I enjoy kids that much. But that doesn't mean that I don't respect and understand the love and adoration that others have for their children. Kids just aren't for me basically. This project is one that when I stumbled over it, it just hit my heart and made me sad and I knew instantly I wanted to help. And I think those are the charity projects you should invest into. So here I am, sewing tiny little flannel diapers. I hope that these diapers can bring some comfort the the ailing parents.

I really got involved with this project because it somehow emotionally tied into my medical emergency trauma mess from almost 5 years ago. The anniversary is actually coming up on Feb. 23. I can't believe it's been 5 years. I was in a very traumatic roll over car accident. And by roll over, I mean we barrel rolled for nearly two football fields and somehow I maintained consciousness. It was a hot mess. I received an orbital blowout fracture of my right eye socket. Basically, the entire floor and back of my eye socket was completely obliterated. My eyelids were torn back and my tear duct was severed. I also had an overwhelming amount of splinters and debris in the muscles and tissues of my socket. Somehow my eyeball miraculously came out unharmed. It just fell back down into my cheek and hung out for a few days while I waited for surgery. I waited for over 48 hours to go into surgery with a huge open wound mess of a face. My family were in shreds and I was just kind of on standby, waiting. If someone had given us something sweet and touching, like in the manner of offering these grieving parents some diapers, it would have been amazing. It would have been so moving that someone would do that for someone they don't know in their ultimate time of need. If I had been given something to touch, that would have been so calming. I was so bewildered as I spent my entire hospital stay practically blind as opening my left eye made me dizzy and nauseous as hell. And I was in a sterile hospital bed and it's just awkward and uncomfortable to say the least.

Long story short, if someone would have given me a comfort item in my time of distress, it would have meant the world to me, and I know my parents feel the same. So when I stumbled over Teeny Tears, it was perfect for me. I can now give back to strangers in need.

And I actually did have strangers help me. People stopped to help us on the side of the road. They tried to pour water on my face and hand to wash off all of the dirt and blood. They also tried to wrap the large cut on my left hand with a first aid kit someone had in their trunk. It ended up being the most painful bandage to remove in the history of the world, but it was a bandage made out of love. I know they tried their best to help me the only way they could, and for that I am so thankful and touched that they would do that. Someone also put their snow jacket over me. I'm sure I bled all over it. But it was a very kind gesture. And now it's time I repay, so to speak, to others in need. I can't just go out looking for horrific car accidents to help people how they helped me. So Teeny Tears is my starting place. I'm literally just thinking right now if there is something I could offer to the Jules Stein Eye Institute where I was treated to the patients coming out of surgery. Or to UCLA where I waited in a bed. Something. I don't know. It's still overwhelming to process some of my stay.

Onward to helping others!

Soooo, on that downer awkward note,  I'll be back soon to do the next installment, all about the new pendants I'm making! Eeeeek! I'm loving every minute of it.

And once again, please go check out Teeny Tears. They need help in all kinds of ways, so even if you can't sew, you can still help.

Toodles for now~

2 comments:

  1. oh my lord ,I can't believe u survived that thank goodness that sounds so harrowing D:

    ReplyDelete